After reading “The Necklace”, a
late 19th century short story by French author Guy de Maupassant, a
lot of attention is usually paid to the main character, an appearance-driven
woman by the name Madame Mathilde Loisel.
While Madame Loisel may exude the personality of an affluent and
sophisticated woman, she is quite the contrary. Her husband, a lowly store
clerk, tries to do what he can to appease her materialistic needs, but alas
cannot. When her husband comes home one day trying to energize a spark in his
spouse by showing her an invitation to a party, she very hesitantly accepts it,
under the condition that she gets all of the money her husband has been saving.
In essence, Madame Louisel is consumed with materialistic goods, a concept all
too familiar in the present day.
Louisel wallows in self-pity all
her life about how she deserves better for herself, and is only happy when she
pretends to be something she’s not; a well-off woman of means. This is why I don’t sympathize with her
at all, because karma bit her right in the you know where. She tried to fool everyone at a party by spending all of her husband’s money in the
process for one night of a glorified game of dress-up, just to "fit-in" like an outcasted high-schooler does. This need for
materialistic possessions is what’s wrong with society, as Louisel felt she was
“born for every delicacy and luxury” (pg. 1) At the party, her Cinderella story
was in full affect, as “She danced madly, ecstatically, drunk with pleasure, with no
thought for anything, in the triumph of her beauty, in the pride of her
success, in a cloud of happiness made up of this universal homage and
admiration, of the desires she had aroused, of the completeness of a victory so
dear to her feminine heart. (pg. 5)”
This self-absorbed behavior represents
just how appearance is an extremely overvalued part of life. Loisel can only be
happy if she has on her gold and jewels (even if they’re actually fake), and on
the other 364 days of the year she sobs in depression of her lack of
possessions. Over 100 years later, nothing has changed. Everybody needs their
50$ designer jeans, 200$ sunglasses, etc. Not saying that I am any better than
Madame Loisel herself, I just thought it would be interesting to delve into the
fact that most people could probably relate to her… just maybe switch out her
fashionable necklace for the new iPhone or Michael Kors bag.
Very interesting. I agree with what you said. I am not personally like Madame but I know many people who are and will pretend to be something they are not at all. Referring back to the story, that's what she gets for trying to seem something she is not.Lesson learned for her would be to just keep it real.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with how you phrased your last paragraph. I see countless examples almost daily of people who need these materialistic ideals to feel accepted by society. I also do admit that I can dwell into that same mindset at times. This is what makes the main character so relatable, like you had mentioned. Great Post!
ReplyDeleteYou could not be more spot on with this. We do buy designer brands just to keep up an appearance, when we could buy generic brands for cheaper. It is a very materialistic world we live in, and apparently it was back in the day as well. I love the relevance link you made to modern day even though the setting of this story over one hundred years ago. Really insightful and relevant post!
ReplyDelete